Monday, September 24, 2007

Cassie's IEP meeting was today

Cassie is going to a new school this year, her old school is now only K-3rd. For now she is still only going to get speech therapy, but we have started the ball rolling on the documentation to get her IEP extended to math if necessary.

I really like Cassie's new teacher. She was a special ed. teacher for nearly 30 years, and I am confident that if Cassie starts to fall behind in any areas she will notice and notify me immediately. She has agreed to gather the results from Cassie's WASL (Washington Assessment of Student learning) and another placement test and put them in Cassie's file, so they will already be prepared if I have to request an IEP evaluation. She has even offered to tutor Cassie one-on-one before school a couple days a week if she does start to fall behind so that we can get her IEP eval. done without her falling back even farther.

So far this year the class has been reviewing, when they start on the new curriculum if she starts needing an extraordinary amount of time to finish her math homework the school has already agreed that, as soon as I call them and report this, they will start the IEP process. Last year, I kept telling her teacher that she needed two to three hours to do a single sheet of math homework. The teacher and the school just kept telling me that she wasn't falling behind in class. That's because I was spending two to three hours a night helping her to understand the work at home! It's as if they want me to stop helping her and just let her fall behind before they will do anything about it!

I feel sooooo much better about Cassie's new school and new teacher. I am so relieved to feel like they are actually listening to me.

3 comments:

junglemama said...

WHat grade is Casie in? SOmetimes you have to take matters into your own hands. If you think the homework is too long then I would have your daughter do what you think is a reasonable amount in a resonable amount of time and write a note waying that you feel that 20minutes of homework is enough. Just because they give her the homework doesn't mean she has to do it if you think it is too much. I have three kids with IEPs right now and I just do what I feel is right and I don't let them pressure me or tell me something different.

CJ Field said...

It's amazing when you finally find the right program with the right teacher!

T.E.A.M. 4 Kids Pediatric Therapy Center In Peoria And Surprise AZ said...

Your style is unique compared to other people I've read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this site.